I was motivated by my morning ride today, so decided to tackle Sunday breakfast at home, instead of heading out for what would be a less intense, but less satisfying round of pancakes. Taking inspiration from a Blueberry Lemon Pancakes recipe I’ve been sitting on for a while from @5dollardinners, I attempted Pancakes with Fresh Lemon Curd and Blueberries. And the result is proof that anyone who can read, can cook. My breakfast was definitely worth the little bit of effort this required!
Fresh Lemon Curd
· 3 eggs
· 1 cup sugar
· ½ cup lemon juice*
· ¼ cup butter, melted
· 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1. In the top of simmering double boiler, beat eggs and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
2. Stir in lemon juice, butter, and lemon peel.
3. Cook for 15 minutes or until thickened.
4. Once the curd reaches desired consistency, remove from heat and cool. Refrigerate any unused curd.
*The original recipe calls for fresh lemon juice, but I didn’t have enough so made up the difference with lemon juice from concentrate. I’m sure fresh would have given me a stronger lemon flavor, but the concentrate resulted in a satisfyingly strong flavor!
Old Fashioned Pancakes
Adapted from this recipe on All Recipes.
· ¾ cup all –purpose flour
· 1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
· ½ cup and 2 tablespoons milk (bring to room temperature)
· 1 egg (bring to room temperature)
· 1 tablespoon and 1 ½ teaspoons butter, melted
· ½ teaspoon vanilla
1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
2. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
3. Heat griddle to medium heat.
4. Scoop approximately ¼ cup batter onto the griddle, flipping when bubbles start to appear and edges look dry.
Drizzle lemon curd on top of hot pancakes, sprinkle blueberries on top and enjoy!